eleanorn

The Book Hammock (Eleanor)

Celtic Moon - Jan DeLima

First, the cover. How fierce does Sophie look?!? I loved the colors and her standing in the front, like she’s protecting the wolf. Could be Dylan or Joshua… doesn’t matter. It’s awesome.

The story is mostly structured from alternating 3rd person pov of Dylan and Sophie with a handful of short chapters of another POV, which I choose at this point to keep “secret.”

Sophie ran from Dylan the night he revealed his secret to her. She was pregnant and with his threat to keep the child with him should she choose to leave, soaked her with a clarity that she cannot and will not leave her baby, nor would she be held prisoner by her husband. She remained hidden for more than 15 years. Now, Joshua – her son, is showing signs of shifting and she’s afraid for his life to the point of going back to Dylan and seek his help.

There are few minor subplots, almost like seeds for future books, and those seeds use the supporting characters in the story beautifully and help carry the story forward.

Let’s talk about Dylan for a minute; Dylan is centuries old (he lived in King Arthur’s times, so actually more than a thousand years old.) He is a wolf shifter, one of few in a community which he leads. He is the leader, responsible for a large territory and its inhabitants, their safety and well being. The vast majority of his people cannot shift, and therefore are deemed as not worthy of existing by the original Guardians and their council.

Dark eyes landed on her, black as sin, absent of light and utterly compelling, as if all the mysteries of the universe waited in their depths for someone strong enough to handle the darkness.

With a war brewing, and his son being the first shifter born in over 300 years, he needs to figure out how to mend his relationship with Sophie and build a life with her and his son.

Also, he’s fucking hot! Pardon my French. And swoony, brooding, angry/bitter and still very much in love with his wife.

Sophie, on the other hand, has gone through a complete 180 since she left. The young, idealistic, innocent girl he knew surprises Dylan. She is fearless, tough, competent and can’t be more protective of their son and will put his well-being, safety and happiness above anything and everyone else.

“But hear me now, Enid.” She waited for the woman to look up. “And be sure to pass this information along to all your cohorts in crime – I am not not the same woman you once knew, and if anyone treats my son as I was treated when I lived here, they will regret it.”

Enid took a step back, frowning at Sophie’s changed behavior.

The relationships in this book are clever. Very. Dylan realizes he didn’t know his wife before, and he’s relearning her as assertive and protective. As a mother. Dylan also has an instant bond with his son. This bond is both awe inspiring and funny. He is not used to teenage lingo and it makes for some tears-brimming-in-your-eyes situations.

Another relationship that intrigued me is Elen (Dylan’s sister) and Cormack, brother to Dylan’s ex-lover. The interesting situation where Elen cannot shift into a wolf where Cormack is stuck in wolf state makes for an interesting dichotomy.

Elen entered the cottage. Her concern, Dylan noticed, went to Cormack, as she knelt beside the wolf and buried her face in the thick fur at his nape.

Celtic Moon is incredibly well written and very unique. I enjoyed that it didn’t follow the romance formula of a damaged hero + damsel in distress = HEA. There are strength and shortcomings for both MCs, there are realistic (within the paranormal world) situations, and there’s a lot of action and development of the plot and relationships.

Everyone who loves reading PNR shifters should read this book (and most likely the next in the series.)

The review is also available on my blog: The Book Hammock.