eleanorn

The Book Hammock (Eleanor)

Firefighter + Cajun chef + excellent writing = Instaswoon!!

Taste the Heat  - Rachel  Harris

Oh, Please God, don’t let me puke in public. She could just hear the news report now.Big city chef returns home and tosses her cookies at local heroes’ feet. Full report at ten.

Wouldn’t that be funny? But no, that didn’t happen.

Sometimes, when I need a light, fun, romantic-feel-good type read, I want to books like Taste the Heat materialize out of thin air and into my Kindle.

The first thing I loved about this book is that it’s an ADULT novel. The MCs are actual adults, ya’ll. That hasn’t happened to me in a long time. I can squish Rachel Harris just for that. Give me two lonely, somewhat hurt and frustrated 30+ year olds any day.

Then a battle for the first place commenced, when it hit me we’re talking a Cajun chef and a firefighter are the ones leading this story. Which is the exact moment when my body got confused and didn’t know whether the head should swoon or the stomach grumble.

Colby is a great female lead. She’s strong, independent and created a fantastic life for herself. Her one hindering issue is her lost of faith in love and commitment. Granted, she has her reasons, and most would say they’re valid. While reading the book I felt like she might have overreacted to up and leave her family and friends and mostly disconnect her life from theirs, but thinking about her situation later on, I can definitely see why she did that.

Looking back at the brunette stunner, Jason admitted she was out of his league, too. The woman was five-alarm gorgeous. Her long dark hair hung loose around her shoulders, and her pouty lips were lifted in a contemplative smile.

Oh yeah, Colby is also gorgeous!

Jason is a dream come true for probably any woman on earth. He’s… this:

Tall and dark with piercing eyes and an easy smile, young Jason had set more than just her heart fluttering back in the day. But the man he’d grown into was simply devastating.

He’s also a strong, level-headed, firehouse captain, swoony widower and… a father. To an 11 year old Emma.

Colby returns to town for the summer to help with the family’s restaurant. She is determined to leave when she can. And she didn’t think she’ll have to deal with her childhood crush as the number one temptation.

Jason, having lost his wife and left as a single father, is not looking for love, unless it’s clear she’ll be a good fit as a mother to Emma. He knows Colby is not there to stay, and her being his best friend’s sister isn’t working in his favor, either.

But sparks fly, and pretty much everyone can pick up on them, including Emma who ‘helps’ things by stealing Colby’s heart and becoming her number one fan.

I have to be honest here – at times, I felt like Emma is a little adult woman. And this is not uncommon these days, especially when a child experiences a trauma that accelerates their growing up.

“Wow, It is such and honor to meet you.” The girl scooted the rolling chair forward and leaned across the desktop. “I Googled you yesterday, after the competition? Your restaurant in Vegas looks amazing, with all those lights and windows – I’m kinda obsessed with restaurants. And the Food Network. Pretty much anything that has to do with cooking. I wanna be a chef, too, one day.”

Back to Colby and Jason, though. The unresolved sexual tension is driving them both crazy, so they struck up a deal. Friends with benefits. However, you can imagine how well that works for them when there are repressed feelings involved.

Colby’s siblings are amazing and are in total contrast with one another. Sherry is funny, lighthearted and very encouraging. Cane is (I’m hoping – the next MC in this series) a tough looking hunk of a nerd and very protective of both his best friend but more of Colby, and for a good reason.

This book has everything, humor, fun, swoons (plenty), UST, good natured teasing, family love, a little drama (not too much, just right) and a give-me-more HEA.

I’m off to start Seven Day Fiance, the 2nd novel in this series.

This review and others can be found on The Book Hammock!