eleanorn

The Book Hammock (Eleanor)

My Ex From Hell - Tellulah Darling

Remember Greek mythology? Well then… imagine most of the gods and goddesses are teens.

Yes, I know, we know this already from My Ex From Hell, the first book in the trilogy, but it’s just that we meet so many more of them culprits in this book.

Teenage Greek mythology is nothing new, right? Right. Now add Darling’s sassy writing to this premise and you’re in for a treat.

In all seriousness, Darling is pretty much the only YA author I’ve read that gets her teens to sound and behave like teens. Plus, her use of pop culture references is brilliant, funny and spot on. All that aside, we want my thoughts on the book and not my fangirling…

Ok, here goes.

We pick up where Ex left off. Sophie is stuck, sans Kai who left to deal with his own daddy issues, in Zeus’ lair (my choice of words!!) and is trying to escape him and his minions. She doesn’t know, however, that her pendant is a tree-type-portal that could make her escape waaaaaaay easier. Daddy issues are blown to mythological proportions here, and to be honest, quite amusing. At this point, we know Zeus and Hades hate each other and are battling for power, so when we discover they work together…

“Great,” Hades muttered. “She’s going to die before she reveals it. She’s the only one that knows the location. You always break them too soon. But then,” he said slyly, “‘too soon’ is a reoccurring problem of yours, isn’t it?”

And don’t you love it when 2 gods compare sizes?

When they see each other again, Sophie realizes that Kai possibly does have feelings for her when he slips incoherent tidbits about his time in the Underworld. From here on out she is constantly contemplating her status in Kai’s eyes, while convincing herself her feelings for him are purely physical. Of course, Kai being Kai, his feelings what they are or not, can’t just turn off his own version of sass:

“I don’t believe it,” Kai said. “We’ve finally rendered her speechless.” He smiled slowly and evilly. “This is like the best present ever.”

There are also many sweet Kai moments in the book. And Kai being the Prince of Darkness, showing a sweet side is muy swoony.

Part of her quest to recover Persephone’s memories leads her, with the help of Theo (Prometheus), his estranged love subject and the God of Love himself, to Aphrodite – Goddess of Love and Beauty. Aphrodite is, how should I say is, confusing. She has a Southern, somewhat (to me it sounded, at least) Yat dialect type speech, she seems a little dumb, but is anything but. And her task for Kai and Sophie is one heck of a ride in this book.

Festos (Phaestos) or as Sophie calls him, Fee, is along for the ride. The boy is hilarious:

“Again,” I panted.

Festos shook his head. “You look wan. And not as in Obi.”

Festos is introduced to the plot by way of Theo’s past. Turns out he’s the one that got the God of Fire’s liver to be eaten brutally, pre Sophie era. That leaves some disgruntled feelings on Theo’s part. LOL – I wonder why. Theo on his part reveals one hell of a surprise during one of their challenges along the way to recover Persephone’s memories.

Another newbie to the group, as mentioned before is the little winged angel with a bow and arrow; Cupid himself, or as he’s called here: Pierce. I personally think the name fits perfectly.

Very clever, Tellulah, very clever. He’s also very much taken with our Hannah.

Hannah gave damn fine stare, and on most other people, the look combined with her five-foot-ten height would have them conceding whatever point she wanted. Years of proximity had made me immune.

I felt bad because she seemed really worried. Her “tell” being the calming, deep breaths she took under her winter coat.

Pretty boy had noticed too. He was pretty fixated on making sure her chest rose and fell okay. His concern was touching.

I, again, loved all instances involving Hannah. She’s such a great supporting character. Her nerdy personality fuels Sophie’s retorts, turning them to true teen situations.

“Much as I hate him and would love to pulverize his butt, he’s Hermes. God of Tricksters. He’s screwed with us enough today. We need to be smart about this.”

“Ohmigod,” Hannah said, “I’ve dreamed of this moment. Sophie wants to be smart!” She clasped her hands to her heart, dramatically.

One of the things I wondered about since book one was: Who’s Demeter? Though my suspicions about a certain character were founded, I didn’t realize just how founded they were. So we find out who Demeter is. And it ain’t pretty.

Giving Hannah and Theo love interests in this book was a great step. We can’t have our heroine get all the fun, can we?

There was a part about 1/3 way in where I’m not sure if life just got in the way of my reading or the story lagged just a wee bit, but other than that… Take all I said before and sprinkle is with an ebil Bethany dose, a little high school drama and a smidgen of an expulsion threat and we have My Date From Hell.

The book *chanting: not the story, not the story* ends in a cliffy that made me very anxious and wanting the 3rd book in my arms (or in my Kindle, not picky here) somewhere around yesterday, or last week. Thing is, I’m not sure it’s fully written yet. GAHHH

So please, Tellulah, please tell me My Life From Hell is already written? It’s essential to my emotional well-being.

My Rating: 4.5 Stars!

Thank you to the author, Tellulah Darling, for providing me with an advanced copy for this book in exchange for an honest review, participating in life and death challenges, and my eternal love and devotion.

The review can also be found on The Book Hammock.