eleanorn

The Book Hammock (Eleanor)

The Distance Between Us - Kasie West

I’m not sure that everyone wants to be rich, butI know everyone would like to have the means to acquire what they need and some of what they want. That’s understandable and I’m putting myself in that category.

Caymen Meyers is a seventeen year old girl, working in her mother’s porcelain doll shop. They are barely making ends meet, and the shop is struggling. The few regular customers won’t save it, and the situation is more dire than Caymen thought initially.

Enters Xander Spence. Literally. He walks into the store one day to pick up a doll for his grandmother (a regular), and acts like one would expect the entitled to act.

“What do you mean you want me to pick?” Mr Rich says into the phone. “Didn’t Grammy tell you which one she wanted?” He lets out a long sigh. “Fine. I’ll take care of it.” He pockets his phone and beckons me over. Yes. Beckons. It’s the only word I can use to describe the motion. He hadn’t even glanced my way but held up his hand and moved two fingers in his direction. His other hand rubs his chin while he studies the dolls in front of him.

See? And that’s the moment I kinda fell for him. Screwed up, right?

Here starts kind of a game between Caymen and Xander. Caymen is a cynical, sarcastic person. She probably uses it to protect herself emotionally, but I’m so not getting into the psychological aspects of cynicism. She’s also hilarious. I love it when an author knows how to use quick wit in a book and with a teen it works fantastic.

Having been burnt herself by a rich boy (Caymen’s father), her mother warned Caymen from an early age that rich guys only want a plaything and will use her for their entertainment before casting her away. This brainwashy attitude did affect Caymen to some degree since she is guarding herself around Xander.

Xander realizes that she doesn’t want a future in the doll shop, just as Caymen realizes the same about him and the family business, and they start a tradition of career days where they introduce the other to different types of professions. While at it, they’re getting close and fall for each other (as much as Caymen denies her own feelings.)

I absolutely loved how West developed their characters throughout the story. With each page turn you learn a little something more about each of them which completes a puzzle of their personality, feelings and wants. And they are both such great, strong characters.

Caymen is resourceful, smart and beautiful, and her love for her mother and sense of responsibility towards her and their small home might result in her putting off college and her own life.

It’s so much easier not to have to depend on anyone else.

But she’s vulnerable and hesitant in trusting Xander and his affection.

He laughs a little. “You live above a porcelain-doll store; your best friend lives in a cemetery. You’ve pretty much grown up surrounded by creepy things. Is there anything you’re afraid of?”

You.

Xander is passionate about many different things, which makes him think the family business might not be for him, and he resents his father for molding him in his image and preparing him for when it’s time to take over the reins.

And the last quote I wanted to add I won’t. I’ll save the sweet and won’t spoil.

I just have to say, it’s beautiful, fantastically written, well developed, has a swoony boy (added to my book boyfriend list) and a sharp young heroine.