eleanorn

The Book Hammock (Eleanor)

The Rancher's Homecoming - Cathy McDavid Rounding up to 3.5 stars out of 5 for this review.I'm not sure what I expected when I requested this book. The summary gave me tingly feelings of sweet, abandoned romance, a cowboy and a broken woman left behind.In a way, I got all that, wrapped neatly in a Hallmark-like bow. Cathy McDavid writes beautifully, and has a way with conveying emotions, frustrations and romance.Annie and Sam were young sweethearts torn apart right when Sam was ready to propose to Annie. Being a man (that's how I chose to see it, anyway) he sucked at keeping in touch with his girl. Annie was impatient and very susceptible to her family's "curse" and started dating another man.Nine years later, Annie is divorced with a 3 year old girl and Sam is a widower with an 8 year old daughter. He's wracked with guilt over a fire that destroyed his beloved town and is determined to rebuild it. He's also determined in rebuilding what he was stupid to leave 9 years prior - his and Annie's love.I liked that there was a good amount of angst. I liked that the romance was infused with annoying moments of silliness and stubbornness by both Annie and Sam. I think, however, that the story is very much predictable and I could see how everything will unfold and resolve about 20% in. I think it could be spiced up with more plot.All in all - sweet, light romance and a nice buffer in between heavier reads.Thank you to Harlequin and NetGalley for this advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.