eleanorn

The Book Hammock (Eleanor)

Fire Inside (Chaos, #2) - Kristen Ashley I see the POV issue is a thing I'll have to come to terms with, but I don't like it. It's confusing. Either write in 1st or 3rd person. The alternating tenses are giving me whiplash.Onto the story. After Tabby and Shy and the whole Sons of Anarchy themed novel, I kind of wanted to find the local MC just to see if I could find me a rough 'n tough biker with a gentle heart to sweep me off my feet and call me his old lady. Then came Hopper Kincaid.Holy hell, man is, as Lanie at some point pointed out, the shit.Lanie (Elaine) Heron is a high class lady, best friend to Tyra (Tack's wife) and a scarred by trauma individual. She lost her fiance 8 years ago to the Russiaa Mob, and was shot when he used her as his live shield during that incident. Lanie approached Hop at one of the MC HogRoast gatherings and propositions him for a one night stand. After a little persuasion, Hop agrees. However, this agreed upon ONS stretches and the relationship that is building between Lanie and Hop must be kept a secret from Tack and Tyra. Lanie is a strong woman, even with her traumatic past; she's a successful business owner, survived being shot and almost dying, has many friends and now a man who will do (and does) pretty much anything for her. She fights it, yes, but for her own demons, stemming from early childhood and witnessing her parents relationship and her father's infidelity.Hop is tough, loyal, protective, gentle and so loving it hurts to read. He cares for Lanie with such fire, that ruins men for the rest of us. He is also stubborn and light and very funny:"I'm not high maintenance!" I exclaimed and he pushed away from the sink."Seriously?" he asked incredulously. "Been in your bed when you get up at fuckin' five thirty in the fuckin' mornin' to do your gig in the bathroom before you go to work and I've hauled your shit up to my bedroom so you can do it at my place. Lanie, you live fifteen minutes away from your office and you get there at eight. Over two hours every day just to do your hair and makeup. Diana fuckin' Ross in her heyday probably took less time to get ready for a show. Babe, if that isn't high maintenance, I do not know what is."The Diana Ross comment was funny but I didn't laugh."I eat breakfast in that time too, Hopper," I reminded him."You swallow down some yogurt and suck back coffee, lady. You don't bake a quiche and eat it at your dining room table with cloth napkins and mimosas," he fired back.And there are plenty more funnies involving Hop. He also knows how to joke while incinerating Lanie's undergarments with words:"I think you just gave me a mini-orgasm," I shared."If you get your ass over here, I'll give you one that is not mini."And I'm not sharing his sweet words at the end, for fear it would spoil the fun from reading. But trust me, those words.... pure honey.Hop helps Lanie fight her demons and accept that she deserves to trust, love and be loved. And that's one hell of a sweet journey for the reader. Also one with tearful moments, but those tears are worth the love bursting from those two.I've gulped down the first two books in the Chaos series in less than two day. There's a reason for that, and it's Kristen Ashley's talent with words. Losing the tenses whiplash would give this book solid 5 stars, same as the first novel.Thank you NetGalley and Forever Publishing for this advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.