eleanorn

The Book Hammock (Eleanor)

Wild Child: A Novel

Wild Child - Molly O'Keefe Reading the premise, this book sounded like an upgraded Hallmark movie. Then I started reading it and it read like an upgraded Hallmark movie.And then things changed.The book alternated 3rd person POVs between Jackson Davies and Monica Appleby. I'm normally not a fan of alternating POVs, but when it's 3rd person the switch is not very pronounced.A struggling small town in Arkansas, a celebrity wild child turned writer, a young and desperate mayor, and a lot of broken hearts are the various parts of the plot. Monica arrives in town to write a nonfiction about her father's murder when she was a young child. Jackson is struggling personally with his younger sister and professionally to save his town. When a morning show hosts a contest to find a small town in the US where a factory will be opened, immediately Jackson believes winning the contest will be the solution to all his problems. With his sister moving on to college, she won't be his responsibility anymore and he will have his chance at life. With the town financially secure he can step down as mayor and leave with a clean conscience. But then Monica shows up the very same week the show comes to visit his town, and he feels her purpose there and being a celebrity will damage the town's chances.Monica herself just wants to be left alone and do her research, write the book and go on running away from herself.I had a "what the hell" moment when I turned the page and read a chapter that felt disconnected from the story. The next chapter connected it to the plot, but there should have been a segue to new scene (which was in a new POV altogether!).Wild Child is very well written, filled with cute and giggle worthy parts, as well as some tense and frustrating moments. A story that started pretty formulated, Wild Child surprised me for the better when I found myself rather emotionally invested and genuinely wanted a happily ever after for all involved. And the HEA came, for those who deserved it.Thank you NetGalley and Bantam Books for this advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.