eleanorn

The Book Hammock (Eleanor)

The Sea of Tranquility

The Sea of Tranquility - Katja Millay May take me weeks to process this. Incredible is like saying it was a garbage read. Will review when I regain back the ability to form full semi-coherent sentences again.Regained my ability to communicate, kinda, so here it goes:To say that this story took me by surprise is the understatement of the century. I had read the summary, and got a few comments about it. But had no idea it would be so incredibly profound.Katja Millay's "kids" are Nastya Kashnikov and Josh Bennett. The book starts with Nastya's thought about her intent to kill someone. It's pretty understood she's referring to someone who'd hurt her very badly. The extent of the trauma is revealed in the tiniest increments throughout the story, and until about 2/3 in, we don't have the full picture of what exactly happened to her.Nastya leaves her home town to move in with her aunt. A fresh start. She meets Drew who's light and fun and funny and a flirt and is all bark and no bite. And I immediately liked him. His presence lightened the mood whenever it needed to be lightened. He seems careless and carefree, but he's loyal and loving and a very good friend. Drew is not who draws Nastya's attention, though.Josh Bennett *swoon*, who's been through his own type of Hell, is an emancipated 17 year old boy. Very talented carpenter and a sort of a recluse. He watches Nastya and Nastya is watching him. He is so traumatized by his own losses, that he doesn't even realize she has embedded herself into almost every facet of his life until it's too late. He sees her in such a unique way, and so memorable in the story:"She's really small and fragile-looking, and at the same time, it's like she's some exotic teenager mercenary, all rock solid, dressed in black, ready to take somebody down. None of it makes any sense. it's kind of disconcerting. She's like an optical illusion. You look at it from one angle and you see the picture and you think you've got a lock on it and then it shifts and the image changes to something entirely different and you can't even find the original picture anymore. It's a serious mindfuck."Anything else I say a potential reader might consider as a spoiler (I know I would), so I'll shut up about the plot. This is the debut novel for the author, which is insane seeing as seasoned writers might never reach the level of writing and ability to possess the reader so fully that they feel that if the story comes to an end, so will their ability to read another word. Each character is developed beautifully, deeply and captures its own part in the reader's heart and mind.Be prepared for laughs, heart ache, tears, swoons, and copious amounts of wow and awe. I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone and everyone. Hands down the best YA book I've read. Ever.